Your Health Records

Sault Area Hosptial's Health Records Department oversees the collection, storage, retention and access to your personal health record. We respect and maintain the confidentiality of your personal health information. The Health Records Information Release Specialists manage release-of-information inquiries and requests for copies of your personal health record.
The Health Records office is located on Level One and is  open Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For Health Records inquiries, phone (705) 759-3612.
How can I get a copy of my health record?
If you are a former patient of Sault Area Hosptial, you can request your records by submitting a dated, written and signed original request to Sault Area Hospital Health Records Department. Please complete the form below:
Form to Request Access to Personal Health Record
Mail your request to:
Sault Area Hospital
Health Records Department
750 Great Northern Road
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6B 0A8
What should the request include?
Requests must include your name, date of birth and mailing address as well as the type of information you need. The request must be dated, witnessed and signed by one other person.
Does it cost me anything to request medical information?
There is an administrative fee associated with the request to view or obtain a photocopy of your health record. The fee for copying varies with the size of the record. Pre-payment of this fee is required prior to accessing your health record. For more information about these fees, please contact the Health Records Department. 
Can I view my health records?
Yes, an appointment is required in order to be able to view your record. Please contact the Health Records Department at (705) 759-3612. 
Can I fax the authorization for disclosure of health record form?
No, because there is an administration fee and we must verify your identification before releasing information with a piece of picture I.D. (Health card is preferred) before a request will be processed. Please note: Fax request for personal information will not be processed.
Will the hospital have all of my records on file?
Sault Area Hospital retains and manages patient records according to current government legislation. 
What happens if I want my records released to another individual?
Whether you want your records released to a relative, friend, family doctor or another institution, you must submit a signed consent giving the hospital authorization to release your information. 
What happens if I am inquiring about records for a deceased patient?
For patients who are deceased, proof of trustee/executor of the estate, or legal signing authority, must be submitted with your written/signed request. Please note that if you have  Power of Attorney for Personal Care for a deceased patient, it expires upon death. 
Copies of the medical death certificate cannot be provided, in compliance with the ‘Vital Statistics Act’.
You will be issued a “Proof of Death” letter, stating date of death and cause of death. This information can be used to apply for a medical death certificate by calling the Office of the Registrar General, Thunder Bay, ON, toll free at 1-800-461-2156, or apply on-line at
How can I obtain records for an incapable/incompetent patient?
For patients who are incapable of signing a consent, a proof of legal signing authority must be provided with the written/signed request for patient information. Proof of legal signing authority such as the Substitute Decision Maker (Public Trustee) may also include the patient’s legal guardian, Power of Attorney for Personal Care, spouse or partner, parent, child, sibling or other relative.
How do I request birth information?
If you want your birth information for yourself or your child (i.e. proof of birth, time of birth), please include mother’s name, mother’s date of birth and child’s date of birth. You will be issued a “Proof of Birth” letter, stating a baby boy/girl was born at the hospital, date born, Mother’s name, and delivering Physician’s name.
Please note that this in not a birth certificate. This information may be used to apply for your birth certificate. Application can be made by calling the Office of the Registrar General, Thunder Bay, ON, toll free at 1-800-461-2156, or by applying on-line at